5 TOP TIPS FOR PEARLY WHITES
We are constantly bombarded with teeth whitening products, treatments and apparent ‘quick fixes’, but what can you do to keep your pearly whites, white?
Elaine Tilling, Head of Clinical Education at TePe UK shares her top tips to prevent teeth staining and keep your teeth looking as bright as can be.
- Limit your intake of coffee, tea, red wine and blue veined cheese. Yes – blue veined cheese! Copper rods are used in the ageing process, and these can increase the bacteria (and staining properties)
- Add TePe Interdental Brushes into your daily oral hygiene routine to ensure that you clean the 40% of the tooth surfaces that your toothbrush misses. Stains are attracted to rough surfaces that build up on the teeth if they are not cleaned effectively
- Choose your lipstick shade wisely. Depending on your skin tone, the careful selection of your shade of lipstick can have quite a dramatic effect on the look of the teeth. Dark pink/purple hues produce a lightening effect on the enamel – the dark reds against paler skins do the opposite – drop in on one of the cosmetic advisors in your local department store for some tailored advice on shade selection
- Enjoy some seasonal strawberries. The malic acid present in strawberries are reported to work as an astringent on the tooth surface removing surface stains and whitening the teeth. So as well as providing essential nutrients, including fresh strawberries in your diet may also help to reduce tooth staining
- Choose a toothpaste that targets stain removal. Look for products that contain any of these on pack - calcium carbonate, silica, sand, quartz, mica, silicon dioxide, trisodium phosphate and tetrapotassium pyrophosphate / tetrasodium pyrophosphate.